Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ski racks in Atlanta?

For years I have noted a number of ski racks in Atlanta. Now I'm not talking about the cargo racks that are attached to the roof by the manufacturer, like my Jeep Liberty has. I am talking about the ski/watersports/bike racks that are mounted on the roof that have a manufacturer name on them. like Thule or Yakima.

I think some people (and I assume mostly guys) like to leave them on to impress somebody, but I don't know why. When I attach cargo to the top of my Liberty the mileage drops from 2-3 miles per gallon. While I don't think that the mileage will drop that much, an extra rack on the top should be dropping mileage at least a little.

And we live in Atlanta, where the skiing is a couple hours north, if we're lucky. So these racks almost have to be for biking and watersports. Of course, I don't see a lot of the racks with actual gear in them. And another newsflash - it only takes a couple of minutes to talke them off.

I have to assume that the owner is trying to impress somebody. Maybe you could try to impress them with sound financial decisions, like getting the most miles-per-gallon from that itty-bitty car you drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment